Thursday, April 23, 2009

If you were coming in the fall,
I'd brush the summer by
With half a smile and half a spurn,
As housewives do a fly.

If I could see you in a year,
I'd wind the months in balls,
And put them each in separate drawers,
Until their time befalls.

If only centuries delayed,
I'd count them on my hand,
Subtracting till my fingers dropped
Into Van Diemen's land.

If certain, when this life was out,
That yours and mine should be,
I'd toss it yonder like a rind,
And taste eternity.

But now, all ignorant of the length
Of time's uncertain wing,
It goads me, like the goblin bee,
That will not state its sting.

- Emily Dickinson -


i've always loved this poem...
i think in the past every time ive come across it ive had someone in my life i could kind of/sort of apply it to, whether it be a boyfriend (rare) or the latest crush-o-the-month (much more common).
its really very odd to now have absolutely, 100%, not-even-a-glimmer of an applicable someone.....and to be so strangely ok with that.i've always loved this poem...
i think in the past every time ive come across it ive had someone in my life i could kind of/sort of apply it to.
its really very odd to have absolutely, 100%, not-even-a-glimmer of it.....and to be so strangely ok with that.


here's another good one:

Heart, we will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

- Emily Dickinson -


again, absolutely no one to apply it to, but it's a beautiful piece of poetry, is it not?

No comments: